I don’t often enter too many contests, but when I heard about The Loft Home Tour Contest, I knew it was an opportunity I simply could not pass up. The Loft has been a long time favorite store, and a staple on the Second Life Grid for what feels like ages. They have some of the highest quality designs, as well as some of the most realistic. I am, and always will be, a huge fan of The Loft.
I had a wonderful time decorating this house. It is the first house in a long time that I actually finished, down to the last detail. I’m proud of it. So so proud of it. I walk in, and the place just feels like home, and I take pride in letting people wander around and check out the details.
I hope that if you do stop by, you make yourself at home. Grab a cup of hot chocolate, a freshly baked cookie, and turn on the stream, because some cheerful Holiday tunes are echoing off the walls of this cozy winter home. Don’t mind Peanut my Great Dane. He’s harmless, and the only thing he’ll do is try and steal a bite of one of your cookies. Oh, and also…the house looks the best (in my own humble opinion) on the standard midnight windlight setting. There is just something about curling up by a fire in the wintertime darkness that is soothing and filled with comfort.
The contest has some absolutely fantastic entries, and I urge you to stop by and check each and every one of them out. Here is a list of the houses! You can tour them from now through December 7th, when they will announce the lucky winners.
Harlow Heslop (oh hey! That’s me!)
I hope you enjoy checking out all the great homes! I certainly enjoyed checking them out, and I think i’ll be making a second trip around to see them all before they aren’t on tour any longer! I’ll admit though…it feels so ODD wondering around other peoples houses! LOL.
If you have any questions on where ANYTHING is from at my house don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m so happy to share all the cozy details with you.
So I didn’t have any real purpose for blogging this photograph, but when I saw that Strawberry Singh was doing her Monday Meme I figured I’d go ahead and participate and share the pic! The pic was a BLATANT copy of the talented Magenta DeVinna’s photo she shared on flickr. Like seriously y’all. Blatant. Copy. I can’t even justify it. I just loved the pic so much, and the collar so much that I knew I had to replicate it. (The collar is from here btw.)
I’m seriously original aren’t I?
So today’s meme was Best & Worst Meme:
“Meme Instructions: Copy and paste the questions and answers below, delete my answers and input your own. The twist is, the final question you need to change and make up your own best & worst that you want to share. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments.” – Strawberry Singh
- Best thing about Second Life: It’s constantly evolving and changing. It keeps me interested and intrigued.
Worst thing about Second Life: Lag. Lag. Lag.
- Best thing in your inventory: My endless home collection. I LOVE SL homes & architecture!
Worst thing in your inventory: Probably also, my endless home collection. If you only knew the amount of money spent.
- Best earliest SL memory: The giddy “new” feeling I had every single time I logged on. It was a rush of excitement.
Worst earliest SL memory: Getting my heart broken and finding out the guy was cheating on me with a stripper wearing bling. For real y’all. For real.
- Best thing you learned because of SL: That there are truly wonderful, amazing, kind, awesome, people all over the world.
Worst thing you learned because of SL: That there are also people that suck. A lot.
- Best thing about blogging: All the free shit I get. (okay okay, I’m KIDDING. I really like being creative, and the chance to better my photography/photoshop skills.)
Worst thing about blogging: How easily my inventory turns to shambles. Seriously. It was so pretty a few days ago…and now… once again. Shambles.
- Best TV show I’m addicted to: Parenthood. (Classy. Awesome. Great show.) Worst TV Show I’m addicted to: E! Reality shows. Seriously total crap. But seriously addicting.
1. Did you go trick or treating as a child?
I did! Many times, and as far back as I can remember. I remember my family always had friends come over with their kids and we would all go trick or treating together. It was always a very exciting time of year, and something I looked forward to as a child.
2. What was the best Halloween costume you ever saw or wore yourself?
In college, a guy I knew that was an engineer, designed an entire transformer’s costume and went as Bumblebee for Halloween. It was so impressive, and he stood about 7 1/2 feet tall in the costume!
3. What is your most vivid memory about Halloween?
My favorite part of Halloween, was coming back home, dumping out all the candy on the floor with my brother and we would spend hours swapping candy and “making deals”. He would always have things I wanted, and I would always have things he was willing to trade for. It was definitely a fun & fond memory.
4. What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?
I’m sure many of you will roll your eyes and think I’m pathetic, but quite honestly…The Ring. That movie always freaked me out, and I remember in high school going with all my friends to see it in the theater, and not being able to sleep for a WEEK after! I dunno what it was, but it has, and always will give me chills.
5. Do you ever get nightmares after watching a scary movie?
I did after The Ring!! LOL!
6. Are you superstitious? If so, name at least one superstition of yours.
I’m not really superstitious, but one superstition that always kinda gave me chills, was the “Bloody Mary” game. Where if you looked into a mirror and said Bloody Mary countless times over and over, she would appear in your mirror. Mirrors always have made me feel a little strange/uncomfortable. I wonder what it is about them…?
7. What will you be doing for Halloween this year, if anything, in SL and RL?
It will be a low key Halloween! We bought Halloween candy, and plan to just relax/hang out/pass out candy. As for in SL, I think we may have a Halloween Party on Sunday at The Pixel Bean! I really should get planning on that shouldn’t I? I’m such a procrastinator!
Skin: Glam Affair | Aida Ewing – Vera – Horror Edition
Eyes: IKON | Ikon Innovia – Perspective Eyes – Black
Hair: Exile | Kavar Cleanslate – Forever Yours
It has been quite a while since I’ve participated in one of Strawberry Singh’s weekly memes! This week was too great to pass up, and I knew I’d have a lot of fun fiddling around with ideas. This week’s challenge was based around the idea of surrealism & the concept of blending dreams and reality. Second Life truly is a one of a kind place where we can find balance between real and virtual. It gives us the creative freedom to be surreal in a multitude of ways.
Skin: Glam Affair | Aida Ewing – Lucy
Hair: Exile | Kavar Cleanslate – Wild At Heart
Hands: SLink | Siddean Munro
Dress: Tee*fy | Azure Electricteeth
Feet: Gos Boutique | Gospel Voom
Pose: Uncertain Smile | Isabelli Anatine
Strawberry Singh has released her 20th Blog Meme and it was one I was excited to participate in. She encouraged everyone to list their SL Bucket Lists! I had to really think about this challenge, as I’ve been in Second Life a long time. I’ve accomplished so many of my Second Life goals & desires that it’s hard to pick new ones! Here is my silly list!
1. Earn Second Life’s Picture of the Day. I know it’s silly, and probably a little bit petty, but I am determined to get Second Life’s picture of the day! There are so many amazing photographs that have been chosen, and I want to at least have one of my photographs in the pool!
2. Learn how to create mesh. If I had the time, patience, and money for the extensive tutorials and resources that are available, this would be a goal of mine. I unfortunately just don’t have the time to put into learning it right now. If I learned mesh, I’d start making houses again in Second Life. I love homes and I loved creating them in the past.
3. Revive The Bean. There’s no denying that my poor coffeehouse has been put on the back burner in the past…many…many months. My real life has absorbed the majority of my time, and quite honestly when I come home, I’m just…in the mood to be lazy, or mindless in Photoshop. I would though, absolutely love to revive The Pixel Bean Coffeehouse. Have more events, get a crowd going again, and really make it a lively hang out for Second Life Residents. There was a time when it was truly one of the number one places on the grid to socialize. I know with a little effort, it could be restored. Thankfully, it’s still a laid back hang out that many frequent…even if it is a little bit on the quiet side.
4. Create an entire homestead oasis. I’ve longed forever to have the funds to create an entire oasis for myself on a homestead sim. A private place for me, and only my close friends to relax and enjoy each others company. A great spot for photographs, and a permanent “home” in my Second Life. Thankfully, a very kind and generous friend is allowing me to squat on their homestead, and I use it for purposes such as setting up photography shots (the photo above was taken there), and a quiet place to hide out when I don’t want to be around other avatars. Someday though…I will purchase a sim (when i’m not insanely broke!) and create the perfect detailed oasis.
5. Brave a Karaoke Night in Second Life. There are so many people that go to Open Mic nights, or do Karaoke nights in Second Life. I am always too chicken to join in. Someday I’m going to gain the courage to sing my heart out in Second Life. Even if it does scare everyone off the grid.
6. Have a all night “sleepover” in Second Life. For as long as I’ve been here, I have yet to have an “all nighter” in Second Life. I would absolutely love to get a group of people and have a “slumber party” in world…and stay up. ALL NIGHT!
7. Make a video tutorial on my blog. So many others have done such fantastic video tutorials. I would love to make one as well! I’m not sure what I’d teach. Maybe just how I go about editing my photographs? Terribly boring though I fear.
8. Get under 10k again. I dunno how it’ll ever happen again, but I want to somehow get my inventory under 10k again. This shouldn’t be that hard of a thing to accomplish, as I’m only up at around 30k (very minimal compared to many of you hoarders out there!), but to drop 20k items is certainly going to be a challenge.
9. SL Vegas Trip. I’ve spoken about it on plurk about 50 times, but I SERIOUSLY want to organize a Second Life Las Vegas trip. Rent out an entire floor of a nice hotel, and just hang out with all sorts of Second Lifers for a handful of days. Wouldn’t that be fun? Either that…or a TON of trouble!
I really wanted to come up with 10 for my bucket list but I have run out of steam and can’t think of a tenth! How about someone think of a tenth for me?
Skin: League | Nena Janus – Isla
Hair: Magika | Sabina Gully – Dusty
Dress: Baiastice | Sissy Pessoa – Giulia Dress (available at the Love Donna Flora Event opening July 25th)
Hands: SLink | Siddean Munro
Dock: DIGS | Iris Maskelyne – Mapleton Dock
Lily Pads: Botanical | Kriss Lehmann